Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 26 – Pennies or String?

Is it begun? Have we taken the initiative to check and see if there are things we do continually for the sheer joy of obedience? Have we looked to make sure we are at least choosing to obey, even if our joy lags behind sometimes?



No number of knots in a string and no pocket full of pennies will buy us the grace we need to breathe in the rarified air of forgiveness and hope, but what have we done lately to make sure that we are making progress in the manifestation of that grace?



“The Father worketh always . . .” of that we have been assured by Jesus Himself. He works in us and He will work through us, which is to say through our confident obedience. The example set for us is of those who took steps to validate the grace of God given to them, demonstrating that it was not given in vain, and there is always a proof in obedience.



Joy is the product, as Jesus told us in John’s gospel. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. (John 15:9-11)

Our joy is meant to be full. Loving obedience is the key. Here in Cor Unum, we may run a diagnostic check on our own lives, safe within the monastery of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and corrections are welcome in Cor Unum Abbey . . .