Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 15 – Did You Do It?




Did you? Did you do it? Did you choose Door Number Three and walk through it yesterday?

Did you, on your knees . . . nuns do a good deal of that . . . or with hands lifted up . . . Biblical heroes did a lot of that . . . in the quiet of your room . . . saints of ever nation and every age have done that . . . did you say to the Father, our Father,

“I will. You know I am Yours, and You know I stumble around and fall on my face and fail to keep my commitments, but I will take a close look . . . a cloistered look . . . into habits of godliness for the next forty days, and I will attend to that L.U.C.I.E. fast . . . show me lethargy, show me where unbelief hides, put a watch before my mouth that complaining won’t come out of it, deliver me from idolatry and give me to carve away the excesses in my life.”

Did you say . . . “It’s such a tall order, Father . . . these are things I should have diligently attended upon all these years . . . but if I’m presenting myself a living sacrifice, let’s get on with it! I’ll do the surrendering, if You will do the sustaining!” Did you pray? Did you make yourself available? Remember, dear, dear Brothers and Sisters . . . this is a monastery. The monastery of the heart. We can’t go anywhere; if we did not begin yesterday, we might as well make a start today!

Second Scripture . . . Romans 12:2 . . . And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Why, look! The Scripture commends us to transformation anyway! Might as well get on with it! It’s by transformation that we become well-acquainted with the perfect will of God. We MUST become well-acquainted with the perfect will of God.

We’re going to be here in Cor Unum . . . forever. The Abbess will remind us; the Word will live in us; the Lord will strengthen us; His Spirit will sustain and direct us. Here we go!


"Getting From Here to There"
photo by Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and corrections are welcome in Cor Unum Abbey . . .